Here is the basic information you need when setting up your JE Web Design/TVCNet email account. These settings apply to all devices.
Email Account Settings (non-SSL)
- Username: your full email address
- Password: your mailbox password
- Secure Login: not required.
- Incoming Server: mail.yourdomain.com
- IMAP Port: 143
- POP3 Port: 110
- SMTP Port: 26
- Outgoing Server: mail.yourdomain.com
- requires authentication
- SMTP Port: 26
IMAP or POP3?
- IMAP: If you choose to set your email client up as an IMAP account, your email messages will be stored on the server. Messages that have been read/deleted/replied to will show up as such, both on the server and in your mail application. IMAP accounts require more disk space than POP3 accounts, and you will periodically have to remove read/sent/deleted messages to avoid running out of server disk space, and the best way to automate that is by enabling auto-archiving. This article on auto-archiving explains why it is imperative for IMAP mail clients and how to set it up.
- POP3: If you choose to set your email client up as a POP3 account, your email messages will be downloaded to your device and then deleted from the server according to your Advanced Settings. If you use multiple devices to check email, you will need to “keep a copy on server” for some period of time (3-5 days usually is sufficient) so that all your devices have a chance to retrieve your new messages. POP accounts require minimal disk space.
Typical POP3 Non-SSL Settings Example
Auto/Manual Setup & Typical Setup Mistakes
If your PC or device tries to automatically set up your account, allow it to try. If after auto-setup your email account is not working, then you’ll need to manually adjust your email accounts settings, referencing the settings below. The most common auto-setup problems are:
- Incorrect Incoming or Outgoing mailservers.
- Username is not your complete email address.
- Secure Login is checked, and shouldn’t be.
- Outgoing Mailserver requires authentication is not checked, and should be.
- Outgoing SMTP port is not correct.
- Attempting SSL setup, but do not have an SSL certificate installed.
Helpful Instructions for Email Account Setup and Maintenance
For step-by-step instructions on how to add/change email accounts on your particular PC, iPhone, iPad or smartphone, use your Help function or Google “how do I setup a POP email account on my …” to find the instructions you need. Here are some helpful references: